Tuesday, February 09, 2010

White night or any other title you can think of

Copyright for text and photos: Jan Krcmar 2008-2010
As always, for better viewing open the post in a separate window. To do so, click here.

Here's a few photos of our flat. Nothing special, just my obsession with the idea that a brick wall seperates our private lives from something we call public space. I still like the idea of
a) documenting your own apartment as well as you possibly can (spend as much time as you can getting to know your private space, documenting your bathroom, toilet, living room, kitchen, kitchen sink, etc),
b) restraining yourself in your artistic output to whatever you find in your flat (or looking out of it), so no big trips to some place else to take photos, if pretty much everything you need is right there in front of you and
c) throwing all that private shit right out into the open, into the public space for everybody to see, whether they like it or not, whether they want to see it or not, because I'll be fucked if it's anybody else's choice whether they get to see my private life or not. Which means that I decide what they do NOT see, but also being able to force upon them what I think they SHOULD see.
So here we go.


Our bedroom with a lot of rubbish lying around everywhere. A nice look out of the window, so I am quite literally opening up to the outside world. It was freezing outside.


IKEA-Expedit-bookshelf complete with books, plus other items from the IKEA catalogue and my photograph / painting in our living room.


Light coming in through the window and the shadow cast by one of our living room lamps. This is the second of three pictures I took sitting and watching The Wire.


Another view of our living room, still sitting and watching the wire and handling the camera on the tripod. Shutter speed was 30 seconds, because - and some of you, the really clever or obsessed amongst you, might have noticed - all of these photographs were taken at night in complete darkness in the flat with the only light source being the orange-light street lamps shining in through the windows. It was almost pitch dark, but still, with a bit of invention you can make a night photograph look like one taken during the day. Very little photoshopping applied here, almost none to colours, saturation, etc. I'd say 95% camera work.
This beautifully ties in with my second - and admittedly rather tedious (for 2010) - obsession of creating images that are a bit disturbing to watch; either because they are specifically designed to bore you, or because the subject is not very pleasant.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

i love this series of photos. Very elegant.

yun

4:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

All of these were shot at night? Surely not the one of your desk and the open window?!

I love these and am dying to try shooting my place at night - though I'm pretty sure my results won't be as wonderful as yours :-}

1:28 PM  
Blogger Jan Krcmar said...

sure enough, even the one at my desk was shot at night...

7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home